I hold a Master’s degree in Media and Cultural Analysis and a BA in Media and Cultural Studies from Düsseldorf University and am an AHRC-funded PhD candidate at King’s College London and the Humboldt University Berlin. I currently work on a project on monsters in contemporary German experimental literature.
Current Research Project:
- Experiments with Monsters: Textual figurations as transformations of language and subjectivity in 21st century German experimental writing, King’s College London/Humboldt-Universität Berlin (funded by LAHP DTP/AHRC and the DAAD)
- Märten, Annegret and William Houstoun, ‘Stuck in the Golden Age? Tracing the Legacy of Modern Magic’ in The Edinburgh Companion to Modernism in Contemporary Theatre, Edinburg University Press (in preparation)
- Märten, Annegret, ‘Eco-Vampires: The Undead and the Environment, by Simon Bacon’, Supernatural Studies (Book Review), Vol. 7, 1. 2020 (forthcoming in print), online: https://www.supernaturalstudies.com/reviews/book-review-by-a-marten-of-s-bacon-eco-vampires
- Märten, Annegret. “Von der Sprachmutter zur Salzwassermutter: Monstrous poetics in Tawada Yoko’s ecocritical writing” (Book Chapter), Tawada Yoko: On Writing and Rewriting, ed. Doug Slaymaker, Lexington (2019). Order now here.
- Märten, Annegret. “Smart, Alan and Josephine Smart 2017. Posthumanism. Anthropological Insights. (Book Review)”, Social Anthropology 27 (2), 2019: 393–95. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-8676.12655.
- Märten, Annegret. “Ecological Angst and Scary Flesh”, Making Monsters A Speculative and Classical Anthology, eds. Emma Bridges and Djibril al-Ayad Stories, Futurefire.net Publishing (2018). Buy now here.
- Märten, Annegret. Contribution to The Researcher’s Notebook, Still Point Journal, Volume 2 (2017).
- Märten, Annegret. “The Casting Handbook” (Book Review), The Journal of Media Practice, Taylor and Francis, 2015, Volume 15, No. 3.
- Märten, Annegret. “Under the Skin (Film Review)”, Monsters and the Monstrous, Interdisciplinary Press, Summer 2014, Volume 4, No. 1, 127.
- 2021 Texts and Contexts, Department of German, King’s College London (co-lecturing with Elizabeth Stewart on Yoko Tawada and ‘Language & Power’, first-year BA Core Module, Level 4)
- 2020 Media 1.0 – Histories, Theories & Analysis, Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries, King’s College London (as GTA, Level 4)
- 2020/21 Year Abroad Enrichment Programme Tutor, Department of German, King’s College London
- 2020 Talking Back – Voices of Protest in German Culture (as hourly-paid Lecturer, second-year BA, Level 5, module overview here)
- 2020 The Principal’s Global Leadership Award, together with Michael Flavin (as GTA)
- 2020 Cultural Management: The Experience, Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries, King’s College London (as GTA, Level 7)
- 2019 German Core Language Modules I, II and III, Department of German, King’s College London (as cover for DAAD lecturer, Level 4, 5, 6)
- 2019 Texts and Contexts, Department of German, King’s College London (as GTA, first-year BA Core Module, Level 4)
- 2019 Cultural Management: The Experience, Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries, King’s College London (as GTA, Level 7)
- 2018/19 Analysing the Cultural and Creative Industries, Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries, King’s College London (as GTA, Core module MA, Level 7, two terms)
- 2018 Texts and Contexts, Department of German, King’s College London (as GTA, first-year BA Core Module, Level 4)
- 2017 Moving the Periphery – Interdisciplinary Approaches to a Changing Europe, bologna.lab, Institute for Cultural Studies, Humboldt-University Berlin (self-designed, bi-national module on populism for Erasmus students, undergraduate level)
- 2009/2010 Tutor for the Module on Culture, Institute for Culture and Media, Universität Düsseldorf (as GTA, first-year undergraduate)
- 2009 Online journalism with Podcasts, KUBUS Programme for professional orientation, Universität Düsseldorf (self-designed practical module for undergraduates)
- 2006/2007 Introductory Tutorial for undergraduates (writing and researching in the humanities), Institute for Culture and Media, Universität Düsseldorf (first-year undergraduate level)
- 2005 Tutor German as Foreign Language, Institute for International Communication, Düsseldorf
- “Von der Sprachmutter zur Salzwassermutter: Monstrous poetics in Yoko Tawada“ at Ecocriticism panel with Axel Goodbody at the AGS Bristol, 09/2019
- “Das Meer ist ein Monster und der Mensch ist ein Monsterbaby”: Posthumanist poetics in Yoko Tawada’s eco-critical texts since Fukushima, American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference, Los Angeles; 04/2018
- Presentation with Sam Williams on the Messingkauf text at Baustelle Brecht/Working with Brecht, International Brecht Society at Brecht Haus Berlin; 06/2017
- “Unspeakable horrors: Jelinek’s speechless monsters in language philosophic perspective” at Promises of Monsters conference, University of Stavanger, Norway; 04/2015
- “Brands, stars and star rating: An Anglo-German comparison of reviewing between commercial interest and critical response” at Adapting, Performing & Reviewing Shakespearean Comedy, School of Advanced Study, University of London; 06/2014
- “Stummes Grauen – Sprachlose Monster als ästhetische Ausdrucksstrategie des Liminalen und Unsagbaren” at 55th National Postgraduate Colloquium in German Studies, Institute of Modern Languages Research, University of London; 03/2014
- “Reinventing the Modern Man and Masculine Wish Fulfilment in Chuck“; KritFM: Serienbuch, Kritische Theater-, Film- und Medienwissenschaft, University of Vienna; 03/2012
Professional Association Memberships and Qualification:
- I am a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- WiGs (Women in German Studies)
- WiG (Women in German)
- AGS (Association for German Studies)
- ACLA (American Comparative Literature Association)
- UCU (University and College Union)
- 2016 Qualification: Preparing to Teach in Higher Education Course King’s College London
Other Engagement in the Academic Community
- Part of the editorial team of the journal German Life & Letters, Social Media Editor
- Peer-Reviewer for Journals
- Networking Knowledge/Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA)
- Nordlit Journal for Nordic Literature
- Marking at Levels 4, 5, 6, and final dissertations, written and oral language exams
- Assessment of abstracts for undergraduate conferences
- School Outreach workshops